Zombies Vs. Unicorns
This is another fantasy anthology of short stories for teens. It shares the dark tone of Z vs U, as well as the bleak humor. It also shares two of the same authors: Cassandra Clare and Holly Black. Other readers noted similar red flags and a crossover appeal to adults.
This upcoming zombie anthology has yet to be released but is eagerly awaited by many. Orson Scott Card is a contributor, as is Jonathan Maberry (author of Rot & Ruin). The compiler, Christopher Golden, also penned a zombie novel called "soulless". One can assume it will share a certain gore appeal as Z vs U, as well as the story length and popular YA authors.
5.Vacations from Hell
This collection features such popular authors as Libba Bray (A Great and Terrible Beauty) and Cassandra Clare (City of Bones), among others. Along with the popular author element, this book shares the variety of tones laid over dark, fantasy subjects. Also Try "Love is Hell", "Kisses from Hell" or "Prom Nights from Hell".
This anthology is a collection of popular dark fantasy works such as Lloyd Alexander, Garth Nix (also in Z vs U), Meredith Ann Pierce, and Nancy Farmer (House of the Scorpion).
This superb collection of zombie and unicorn stories has a little something for everyone, except the faint of heart. Despite being labeled YA in many libraries, red flags pop up all over the place in this tome, from bestiality to graphic violence. It is a mash of many different authors and writing styles, most of which are very dark in tone. I think it can be hard for readers who like short stories to find read-alikes, because everyone suggests the longer works of the authors in the collection. I've tried to select other anthologies and stories by different authors because most of us are capable of cross-referencing listed authors on our own.
This is another fantasy anthology of short stories for teens. It shares the dark tone of Z vs U, as well as the bleak humor. It also shares two of the same authors: Cassandra Clare and Holly Black. Other readers noted similar red flags and a crossover appeal to adults.
This upcoming zombie anthology has yet to be released but is eagerly awaited by many. Orson Scott Card is a contributor, as is Jonathan Maberry (author of Rot & Ruin). The compiler, Christopher Golden, also penned a zombie novel called "soulless". One can assume it will share a certain gore appeal as Z vs U, as well as the story length and popular YA authors.
This YA collection of Kelly Link's Short stories offers a quirky selection of fantasy-horror blends. A bit milder than Z vs U as far as red flags go, it would be a good choice for a younger teen or more sensitive reader.
This volume contains short fantasy-horror adaptations of well-known fairy-tales. This is for the lover of unicorn stories in Z vs U, dark though they were. This collection may also appeal to fans of the romance and sexuality in Z vs U.
5.Vacations from Hell
This collection features such popular authors as Libba Bray (A Great and Terrible Beauty) and Cassandra Clare (City of Bones), among others. Along with the popular author element, this book shares the variety of tones laid over dark, fantasy subjects. Also Try "Love is Hell", "Kisses from Hell" or "Prom Nights from Hell".
This collection is penned by one of the compilers of Z vs U, Holly Black. It is also full of dark fantasy shorts featuring supernatural creatures.
8. Firebirds
This anthology is a collection of popular dark fantasy works such as Lloyd Alexander, Garth Nix (also in Z vs U), Meredith Ann Pierce, and Nancy Farmer (House of the Scorpion).
This is one of King's best works, in my opinion. A collection of horrific tales with many surrealistic and fantasy elements, much like Z vs U's darker works.
10. The Living Dead
A zombie anthology full of popular horror and fantasy authors like Neil Gaiman, Laurell K Hamilton, Stephen King, CLive Barker, and Geroge R R Martin.
FTC Disclaimer:All reviews are solely the opinions of Becky and/or Randi. We are not paid in any way for our reviews, and all opinions are 100% honest.







I love zombie books and need to check out The Living Dead!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment! Zombie books are pretty much the best thing ever...;what are your favorites?
ReplyDeleteYou choose a nice book for the top 10 lists this week! I have Zombies vs Unicorns waiting for me, so I'll read that one first and if I like it: I'll definitely go and take some titles from your list! :D
ReplyDeleteThanks! Z vs U made me realize how much I like short stories. Let me know if you read/like any of the other books on the list!
DeleteWhat an original Top Ten list. Fantastic!
ReplyDeleteThank you! :) I'm so glad you liked it!
DeleteThis is very unique, my friend read Zombies vs Unicorns a while ago and told me it was amazing. And I've been seeing The Bloody Chamber everywhere.
ReplyDeleteKandee
Yeah the Bloody Chamber is always showing up on my goodreads suggestions. I can't wait to read it! I highly recommend zombies vs Unicorns. The best part is that you can drop a story and move on if you can tell you don't like it.
DeleteThis is such an interesting list! Like everyone says, so creative & original! I've only read bits of The Bloody Chamber but I liked it.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words! The Bloody Chamber is definitely next on my list to check out from the library.
DeleteOhh, I love this! I usually don't read very many anthologies because they're not really my thing, but I ADORED Zombies vs Unicorns so I'm sure I'll love all those other anthologies too! Especially Vacations From Hell -- now that sounds like something you wouldn't want to come to life LOL :')
ReplyDeleteAwesome top ten, Becky!
Thank you! Let me know if you read and like any of them! After I read Zombies vs Unicorns I was desperate for something similar and it was easier to find than I thought!
DeleteGreat list! I've been wanting to read more Kelly Link for a while now and I can't tell you how long The Bloody Chamber has been on my list. We read a bit of it in my Women Writers class, and I really enjoyed it!
ReplyDelete